Duke Audio Community
Duke has an active community of podcasters and audio producers who produce a wide range of shows. Learn more from your Duke peers through the Duke Audio Working Group. The group meets monthly to share works in progress and exchange tips on tools, techniques, storytelling and more.
Email Alison Jones to join the group or find out more: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duke Recording Spaces
The Multimedia Project Studio at Bostock Library includes an audio booth available free of charge by reservation to members of the Duke community.
Outside Sources for Ordering Audio Equipment
Some Options for Hosting Your Podcast
- Warpwire (Free; supported by Duke OIT)
- SoundCloud (Free, but includes limits on total audio space; not supported by Duke OIT)
- Libsyn (Modest fee; not supported by Duke OIT)
Transcription Apps and Services
Continue Your Audio Education
- Duke Center for Documentary Studies– Offers occasional continuing education courses and summer workshops in audio and podcasting.
- Duke Audio Working Group – Monthly meeting where Duke community members share tips, ideas and inspiration and provide one another with feedback. Sign up by emailing Alison Jones: email@example.com.
- LinkedIn Learning – Free tutorials for Duke community members on audio editing software (Adobe Audition, Hindenburg, Protools).
Sources for Free or Cheap Music
Other Useful Links
- Transom.org – Great source of information on audio tools, technique and inspiration on everything from interview techniques torecording phone calls.
- Association of Independents in Radio (AIR) – Membership network of audio freelancers; good source of advice and information on audio challenges and opportunities
- NPR station list – for booking remote studios.
- Hot Pod – Newsletter about podcasting trends.
- How Sound podcast – “The backstory to great radio storytelling”
A Note About Accessibility
Please remember the hearing impaired and post a transcript along with your podcast (see above for suggested apps and services).
Subscribe to Duke podcasts!
Below are a few. Find more Duke podcasts here: